These great little fabric baskets are a cinch to sew. I have used tea towels to make this super quick, but fabric also works well. You’ll just have to do some extra hemming.
I picked these sweet towels up from Woolies for $9 (for 3).
- Two tea towels that look great together
- A sewing machine
How to make the fabric basket:
- Fold one tea towel in half so that two shorter edges meet each other at the top. Sew both sides. Leave the top open. Repeat for the other tea towel.
- This is the clever bit. Iron the fold at the bottom. Place one sewn seam so that it lies on top of ironed crease. This will create a triangle. Measure about 7cm in from the apex of the triangle. Pin. Put the ruler vertically against the pin and mark a straight line. Sew along that line. Do the same on the other side.
- Turn inside out and you have a box. Repeat for the other tea towel.
- Place the fabric boxes inside one another, the wrong sides should be facing each other.
- Fold down so that the inner box fabric creates a fold over the outer box fabric. You could sew the two boxes together, but you don’t need to. Keeping them separate allows you to create a few and mix and match!