Winter in Brisbane is a fickle mistress. It’s not really a traditional seasonal relationship. She stays with some intensity for a few days before giving way to the insistent sunshine. She might blow in again in a week or two. She might blow us off all together and just spend her time with the cool (freezing) kids down south. Which is frustrating for a person who enjoys winter, mostly because of the laziness factor.
I’m not a high maintenance girl. My eyebrows are seldom tidy, my fingernails resemble an nine-year old boys and I’m not well acquainted with the iron. So winter is basically an awesome excuse to justify my general grooming laziness.
- You don’t have to iron things. You just put another layer on top. Shirt a bit creased? Throw on a scarf. Dress could do with a press? Pop on a denim jacket.
- You don’t have to wear a bra. I love bras. I love how pretty they are. I love how they can perk up my rather unimpressive nearly B cups. I just don’t really love actually wearing them. In winter, with all those extra layers, who would know if you’re wearing a bra or not?
- You don’t have to shave your legs. Jeans, tights, stockings and long skirts all hide the fuzz and I’m left with a big dose of “why bother?”
- You don’t have to brush your hair. That’s what cute, little, woollen hats are for.
- You don’t have to worry about a pedicure. No point painting those pretty toes if they are just going to be in enclosed shoes, bed socks and boots.
- You’re forced to moisturise. Because I am so lazy, it’s sometimes beneficial when the weather prompts me to look after my skin. Scaly, repitilian skin is never a good look. Even in winter.
- You don’t need to get changed to go to bed. You’ve been lazing around in trackie pants and a comfy shirt all day. Are you really going to get changed to go to sleep? I didn’t think so.
- You can skimp on the exercise. All those lovely layers camouflage a good many rolls. But I suppose it pays to remember that summer is never very far away and it always takes twice as long to lose than gain. Sorry to kill the buzz on that one.
- You don’t need to wash (your clothes) as much. In summer, I’m a wear once and wash kinda girl. But in winter, when things aren’t getting so steamy, I think it’s okay to sneak in another wear or two. Apparently you aren’t meant to wash your jeans. Ever. But even I’m not that committed to laziness.
- You don’t even need to chill your drinks. Okay, not fashion or style related per se, but I still love the fact you can crack open a bottle of red with no forethought about chilling it first.