Last week an Arctic blast visited Brisbane. For those wondering what an Arctic blast feels like in Brisbane, feel free to read this. After lamenting the absence of cold in May, we were all shivering and wishing summer back. We’re never happy are we?
In fairness, Brisbane houses are in no way built for the cold. If it’s 8 degrees outside, it’s likely to be 8 degrees inside (maybe 7). My winter wardrobe options are limited at best and my extra winter blanket is really my sleeping bag.
I’m a glass half-full kinda gal, so I’m always on the lookout for a silver lining. Last time the winter chill had a nibble (let’s be honest, it doesn’t really bite here), I found the style upsides.
Today, I’m all about the winter parenting wins.
- My eldest actually wants to wash the dishes so he can put his hands in the hot water.
- In a similar vein, my normally hygiene-apathetic boys have never been keener to hop into the warm shower or bath. Getting them out is the trick. Luckily we all still believe that pulling the plug will result in them being washed down the drain. I’m a cruel mother some times.
- I love a good snuggly sleep-in (in winter anyway) and sub 10 degree morning temps mean my early birds are happy to jump in the big bed and sleep and snuggle just a bit longer.
- The early sunset means that they have a good hour or so of darkness before bedtime. Making bedtime itself a much easier proposition than when it’s still bright outside and I’m trying to convince them sleep is a good idea.
- They will actually sit down and eat their food. They have a vested interest in doing so while it’s still warm.
- Once we get our morning underway and we step outside, the days are completely brilliant. Winter in Brisbane is dazzling. Clear blue skies, just a slight nip in the air and bright winter sunshine.
- If the weather is really bitterly cold, if there is snow predicted for Stanthorpe, if there is frost on the lawn, my youngest can maybe, just maybe be convinced to consider donning shoes and a jumper.
Does winter lead to any parenting wins in your household?