The cocktail party had been marked on the calendar for a while. Mid-October and the promise of a balmy evening meant that I had settled on a cute summer dress.
Then something extraordinary happened.
Brisbane turned rainy and cold. In the middle of October. Madness.
I was faced with a sartorial choice.
Shop in a panic for something warm that fits the cocktail dress code. Make something in a rush. Or shop my overflowing wardrobe for something suitable.
Being in a sensible kind of mood, I opted for the latter.
First I looked through my wardrobe for a few key things:
- Longer bottoms with a little evening glitz
- Long sleeved tops
- Jackets with a little bit of sparkle
- Work wear basics that could be easily dressed up
That lead me a few choices:
- A pair of black trousers, a sequined top and a black evening jacket
- A work pencil dress, paired with a gold sequinned jacket
- A ball gown with a jumper and a statement piece of jewellery
- A white button down shirt with tie and long evening skirt
Clearly no need to panic buy or make. Just a little creativity.
I ended up settling on the black trousers – comfortable and funky. And warm.