Over the last month I can safely say that I burnt myself out and ended up really sick. I also faced up to the fact that I can’t do ‘life’ on my own anymore and asked my husband to come home. It was a big, scary question to ask, but he said “yes” without even blinking. It’s a good feeling to know he’s coming home once he finds the right job.
I know what you’re all thinking – that’s not very funny Sarah…
Well in an effort to turn my frown upside down, I thought I’d have a think about what makes FIFO life (or DIDO, BIBO, etc) super ace awesome fun! *said with a DJ Lance voice. Here is what I have come up with:
1. You Da Boss! That’s right, I am the boss. What I say goes and the household runs as I want it to. Said me NEVER, because the toddler ignores my instructions and the dog is passive aggressive.
2. No more secret eating! I was a secret eater – not as in I need an intervention or anything, but I used to sneak the occasional snickers, crispy chicken sushi roll or extra spoonful of ice cream straight out of the container. I don’t really know why, because now that I’m writing it, it seems pretty messed up right, but I did. Anyways, no more of that! There is no one to ask, “where did all the ice cream go?” Hoo-rah!!
3. Window shopping happens! You’re passing a shop and see a dress and think “oooh, so prurdy..”, Well now you can pop into the shop and actually look at it! No one standing awkwardly around on their phone, with hand in pocket making you feel like you might as well be asking them to witness your pap smear test.
4. Comfy undies, bras and stretchy pants for life! Well as long as the husband is away, which is four weeks out of five for me. Now who doesn’t like a cotton tail – stretchy pant combo? Let me hear you say “yoh-oh, a yo yo yo!!!!”
5. No sharing the bed! My favourite super ace awesome reason that FIFO is super ace awesome. I get the bed to myself. We’re actually in the market for a King Size bed now, because even when hubby is home, I still sleep like I get the bed to myself.
Blogging and this lovely little community we are establishing have definitely made our lifestyle a lot more bearable the last few months so thank you everyone.
Time for you to put your DJ Lance hat on and tell me what super ace awesomeness can you extract from a less than ideal situation that you and yours have to deal with.